As a travel blogger and writer I am often asked the same question over and over again: how do I afford to travel and how did I become a freelance travel journalist and blogger? It is a good question with a multi-layered answer and in the world of travel writing/blogging there is no clear projectory to success–there is only trial and error.
Recently, I was interviewed by Jason of the Zero to Travel podcast for an episode on how one gets paid to freelance write and how to start a travel blog. If you have ever pondered these questions yourself, than take a listen to this episode where I not only share my experiences but also my secrets to getting paid to see the world, reviewing hotels and running The Pin the Map Project.
In this episode of the podcast, you’ll learn:
- The three things you need to quit your job and get paid to travel.
- What inspired me to start a travel blog in the first place.
- WhyI gave myself three months of travel blogging before I decided to invest in The Pin the Map Project.
- Why I was frustrated with the travel blogging niche and how my frustration led to me filling a gap in the market.
- The three ways I makes money from travel writing.
- The importance of website design for freelance writers.
- How to drive traffic to your blog.
- How to associate yourself with other travel bloggers to grow your blog following.
- The distinction between being a travel blogger and a freelance travel journalist.
- How to build your portfolio so that you can get your articles published on big, online publications.
- The online tools I use to find travel writing jobs.
- The difference between PR and advertising and how this affects the ethics of travel journalism.
- How to review hotels and restaurants that don’t impress you.
- How to balance traveling for work with traveling for yourself.