What is The Pin the Map Project?
The Pin the Map Project is an online destination for all things travel. The pages of this website are filled with stories and advice, tips and tricks to help you save on travel, discover destinations, ignite your wanderlust and even start your very own travel blog in hopes of inspiring you to see the world one pin at a time!
How do you afford to travel?
When I first started The Pin the Map Project, I was working full time at an advertising firm in Manhattan, which allowed me to afford travel during my paid time off. Eventually, I left my advertising job to pursue travel writing full time as a freelance writer and full time blogger for my website.
How do you earn money from your blog?
I have typically earned money in three different ways: through freelance work (such as writing for other publications or freelance projects), from advertising on my webpage and from brand sponsorship and partnerships with The Pin the Map Project.
Can I write for The Pin the Map Project?
Yes! Check the contributor page for more information.
What equipment do you use?
I primarily use an Olympus OMD EM-5 Mark II camera for photography and video, as well as my iPhone for social media video and photography.
Who takes your photos?
If I am on a press trip, I will ask other journalists I am traveling with to snap a quick photo. If solo traveling, I will take the photo myself by using a small tripod. Otherwise, I am usually traveling with my boyfriend, Jeff, who will sometimes play photographer!
How do I become a Travel Blogger and/or Travel Editor?
Check out my BLOGGINGsection for posts on becoming a travel blogger, growing a following and more. You can also check out my TRAVEL WRITING section for useful tips on launching your travel writing career.
Who designed your site?
Alpine Lane Creative (formerly Suitcase Designs)- can’t recommend Amanda enough!
How do you get those free trips?
I am offered free travel because of the editorial and social media exposure I can provide a brand, hotel and/or tourism board. When I receive free trips it is usually through a PR agency who has invited me along on a press trip. Snagging press trips is always a popular topic, so I have dedicated a PRESS TRIPS section with more resources for my readers!
Do you host giveaways?
Yes! If hosting a giveaway, you’ll see announcements made across PTM social media accounts.
Where have you traveled or will be traveling?
- North America: USA (New York, Florida, North Carolina, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, California, Massachusetts, Louisiana, Missouri, Washington) & Canada (Vancouver)
- Central America: Nicaragua (Playa Maderas, San Juan del Sur), Panama (Panama City, Bocas del Toro), Mexico (Yucatan Peninsula, Oaxaca, Mexico City)
- South America: Colombia (Bogota, Cartagena), Uruguay, Argentina (Buenos Aireas, Iguazu)
- Caribbean: St. Martin, St. Johns, St. Thomas, St. Barts, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Puerto Rico
Europe: Russia (St. Petersburg), Serbia (Belgrade), France (Paris, Normandy, Loire Valley), The Netherlands (Amsterdam), Germany (Berlin), Spain (Barcelona), England (London), Italy (Rome & Venice), Belgium, Iceland (Reykjavik & East Iceland)
- Africa: Morocco (Marrakech, Fez, Casablanca, Atlas Mountains, Sahara Desert)
- Asia: Philippines (Manila, Vegan, Laoag), Indonesia (Komodo, Borneo, Wakatobi, Bali), Japan (Tokyo), China (Hong Kong), Vietnam (Hanoi), Thailand (Chiang Mai & Bangkok)